De-duplication: Best practice
The IAB state that all advertisers should be completely transparent with regards to their de-duplication policy in order for publishers to have insight into how their traffic is reviewed against other online channels so they can make an informed decision about promoting an advertiser.
'De-duplication is the process of attributing a sale to one online marketing channel on predefined conditions, these conditions will decide which tracking tag is shown at the confirmation of sale page.' Affiliate Window
De-duplicating sales will reduce conversion rates and thus lower commissions for affiliates. Advertisers therefore should consider their de-duplication policy carefully as this may affect affiliates' decision to promote their brand over competitors.
We have put together some recommendations for de-duplication in line with industry standards to help you make an informed decision about your policy:
- Display your de-duplication policy clearly in your affiliate programme
- Provide adequate notice to affiliates prior to a change in your de-duplication policy
- Do not de-dup against brand PPC
- PPC is the most common method that a consumer will use to return to a site and so is likely to capture the last click
- Therefore, if a customer takes some time to make a decision about a purchase after seeing the product on an affiliate site and then searches for the brand name on a search engine, it is argued that search cannot be held 100% responsible for that sale
- Do not de-duplicate against display advertising
- Similar to customers returning to a site via brand keyword, there is also a chance that customers who are already influenced by a merchant from an affiliate site see and click a banner whilst online
- It is argued that this action alone cannot be 100% responsible for that sale - especially in cases where an advertiser tracks post impressions as the banner may not even have been seen if it was below the fold
If you have any questions on your de-duplication policy or would like more information, please contact your affiliate manager at Equator today.