Thomson Al Fresco
Thomson Al Fresco, a division of TUI, sells mobile home holidays in 43 holiday parks across Europe, including France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Croatia and Holland.
You get a very different type of holiday experience with Thomson Al Fresco, staying in luxury chalet-style accommodation designed by Linda Barker, on some of the finest holiday parks in Europe. In order to distinguish itself from competitors such as Eurocamp and Keycamp, the company has developed the concept of 'posh camping' and the brand positioning of being 'Out of the ordinary'.
Client brief & objectives
In 2007, as part of an integrated digital strategy, Thomson Al Fresco asked Equator to develop an email programme for the brand.
- Develop email creative that would reflect the brand's positioning as 'Out of the ordinary'.
- Produce an email style that would be flexible enough to communicate brand building messages, as well as tactical offers.
- Achieve consistently high open and clickthrough rates, while maintaining a low unsubscribe rate.
The email design has been created to represent Thomson Al Fresco's unique brand of family holiday and uses the strapline 'Out of the ordinary'. The colourful style is based around the company's brand mascot, a small cartoon character called Alf who creates a sense of trust and honest family fun.
The emails contain information about the holidays, but also entertain with cartoons explaining unusual facts about each country Thomson Al Fresco offers holidays in. For example, one creative treatment has Alf explaining the 'surprising fact' that 'They don't have the tooth fairy in Spain. It's a tooth mouse called Perez. Eek!' The surprising facts represent Thomson Al Fresco's surprisingly good value holidays and prices in a unique way.
Tactical offers and sales messages are featured further down the email, and provide strong calls to action. Brand-building messages about the company and its unique product and service offering support the sales messages, and provide reassurance and added incentives to choose Thomson Al Fresco. Subject lines are also suitably quirky and 'out of the ordinary', with the overall aim of making the emails enjoyable for the reader - building a relationship of trust and loyalty. The emails link through to the website or, where appropriate, themed landing pages, designed to expand upon the information provided in the email and support conversion to a booking.
The Thomson Al Fresco email programme is now a core part of the marketing programme, and has been extremely well received by customers.
- Open rate of up to 35% achieved
- Clickthrough rate of up to 31% achieved
- Unsubscribe rate maintained well below 1%.
- Integrated approach between emails and landing pages to deliver consistent messaging and increase booking conversion.
- Strong return on investment of 5:1 through bookings generated from the email programme.