Overview of Role
You will be responsible for the technical direction of multiple workstreams, applying your knowledge and experience of building complex systems to new client engagements. Piecing complex technology platforms together into a solution that meets the requirements of a project (and wider organisational considerations) will be core to your role. These decisions must be made balancing implementation risk, available time and budget whilst ensuring that it solves the problem at hand.
- You will be assigned to large-scale projects where you will be responsible for defining the technical approach and design.
- You will be expected to understand any organisational considerations and ensure that any new system fits the existing enterprise environment. To perform this task, you will be required to understand how the various parts of the business model work together including processes, platforms, and application architectures.
- This may require you to liaise with technical experts (architects, analysts etc) from client or partner organisations.
- You will be expected to ensure that your system designs consider and meet all functional and non-functional requirements and can demonstrate this through appropriate forms of system testing.
- You should be experienced in planning and presenting technical workshops.
- You will be responsible for shortlisting, evaluating, and selecting appropriate software solutions and technology stacks for the project taking into account timelines, budgets, available resource whilst balancing risk.
- Your solutions must consider all aspects of the solution delivery including data migration, scaling, load, security, compliance, and governance.
- You must be able to communicate how the above considerations have been taken into account to technical and non-technical parties. This includes other architects (technical/solution/enterprise) and auditors. This will require you to demonstrate a strong understanding of data protection, secure development practices, GDPR, ISO 27001, PCI DSS, OWASP.
- You will be expected to understand business goals and align them with architecture objectives using industry recognised frameworks such as TOGAF.
- You should have a strong theoretical understanding and practical expereince in enterprise integration patterns (EIP). You should be able to discuss and debate the appropriateness of different patterns to scenarios with technical peers (both internally and externally).
- We specialise in development of solutions that operate in public cloud infrastructures (primarily Microsoft Azure). You should be familiar with the various building blocks available and their applications including pros and cons. Ideally you would be a certified (or already working towards) Azure Solutions Architect Expert.
- Expereince of common integration platforms and technologies commonly encountered in our large-scale projects such as CRMs and data analysis/reporting would be desirable.
- You will be expected to work closely with the assigned individuals from supporting disciplines (engineering project lead, solution analyst, business analyst, project manager, lead tester) to devise and execute a delivery plan to agreed estimates and timelines.
- You will be required to communicate and explain the solution architecture to the project lead so that they can translate the design into a robust and performant code base.
- You will work closely with the project manager and test lead to ensure that all requirements (both functional and non-functional) are met and can be demonstrated. This will require you to work closely with the team on considerations such as performance, security and compliance testing.
- You will ensure that our departmental engineering processes are followed and that project gateways are met and passed.
- Alongside the project lead assigned to the project, you will be the ‘face’ of the engineering function and will be expected to communicate and demonstrate progress to our clients.
- You will be required to advise on delivery considerations during the discovery and definition stages of the project and will work alongside the supporting disciplines previously mentioned.
- You will be expected to transition between projects within the business and may be actively involved in more than one project at a time.
- You will be responsible for overseeing our team of solution analysts. These individuals are responsible for analysing existing client solutions and architectures to extract and surface dependencies, integrations, and business requirements. Additionally, they help (depending on expereince) shape system design considering data and integration dependencies.
- With the support of our principal engineers, you will mentor and oversee their outputs.
- You will conduct regular 1-1s providing feedback on performance and progress against personal objectives.
- You will be expected to provide constructive feedback to your team through your day to day engagements.
- You will promote an open culture within the team and wider department that encourages and rewards creativity and innovation at all levels and experience.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that tasks delivered by the analysts are fully considered, accurately scoped and that progress is reported.
- You will be expected to be a technical leader within the department.
- Reporting to the principal engineer you will be expected to advise on technology trends within the industry and advise on training, certification and partnership opportunities that will ensure that Equator are position as a leader within our industry.
- You will be expected to take an active role in the departmental working groups tasked with evolving and expanding our capabilities as a department and business. You will attend and contribute to these sessions and assume ownership of assigned initiatives.
- You will be responsible for overseeing your assigned initiatives, ensuring that their effectiveness/impact can be appropriately measured and on conclusion reporting your findings and recommendations back to the working group.
- You will be expected to coordinate with the wider department to implement successful initiatives into your projects and ensure that this is executed in a consistent and cohesive manner.
- You will be expected to provide support and advise other project teams were a solution architect is not assigned. This would involve you being part of a review gate check to interrogate and critique the technical approach being proposed.
- You have an excellent knowledge of a wide range of development methods, standards and trends.
- You are an excellent communicator, both written and verbal.
- You are comfortable presenting your ideas to clients.
- You are adept at translating product and business requirements into technical solutions
- You are forward-thinking and proactive.
- You have a wealth of experience and are certified with public cloud technologies, cloud hosting, container, and networking design patterns, tools and standard methodology (primarily using Microsoft Azure).
- Working knowledge of Agile delivery methodologies.
- You have an exceptional ability to explain and demonstrate technical choices to both technical and functional stakeholders
- You are comfortable producing written estimates and proposals for technical solutions