Overview of Role
Leading from the front, it will set the standard for ‘what good looks like’ by assuming a hands-on approach to delivering functions, features and code. Direct day-to-day involvement with the team will be central to the role. It will need to monitor, manage, develop and up-skill those in the team by sharing experience, knowledge and approach to problem solving as a seasoned engineer and mentor.
There will be an opportunity to extend the range and influence of insight by taking an active role in our departmental working groups. The role will assume ownership of key initiatives aimed at evolving our processes and tooling, ideally through assessment and utilisation within assigned projects. The ability to successfully oversee the delivery of key projects while also building the capabilities of those around you is central to the growth of the department and business.
- Assume responsibility for ensuring an ongoing technology review working group within the department. Ensure that senior members of the team are actively involved in identifying and evaluating technologies for use on upcoming projects.
- Monitor and evolve the use of new technologies on projects and ensure that appropriate measures are in place to determine effectiveness.
- Promote an open culture within the department that encourages and rewards creativity and innovation at all levels and experience.
- Coordinate with other Principle Engineers (Software and QA) to ensure that consideration is given to the development of complimentary tools, training, and platforms that result in an effective, cohesive technical offering.
- Take the lead in developing and overseeing an active and inclusive knowledge sharing program within the department and the wider company. It should demonstrate, showcase, and communicate the capabilities and benefits of tools and platforms in use (or being evaluated) as well as industry trends. We must make clear links to associated benefits or opportunities for our clients.
- Pursue opportunities to represent and demonstrate Equator’s capabilities and skills at relevant industry events and conferences. Encourage and develop others in the department to take an active interest in attending and presenting at events.
- Develop a training program within the department to ensure the team are provided with a path to develop the skills required to demonstrate and communicate technical outputs and progress to both technical and non-technical audiences. This should cover a wide range of touch points from pitching to sprint demos.
- You will be expected to directly line manage senior members within the department at Engineering Team Lead level and below. These individuals will have line management responsibilities of their own and as such you must ensure that adequate performance measurements and objectives are in place to ensure that collectively they combine to meet departmental and company strategic objectives.
- In line with your technical leadership and outreach responsibilities you should ensure that personal development and training objectives are being defined and distributed down through the team.
- Amongst your direct reports there will be a combination of individuals on either technical or managerial career tracks. Additionally, there will be individuals focusing on design/architecture disciplines and other focused on code development. You will be expected to draw on your own expereince in these various areas to ensure that individuals are continually developed and challenged to grow and enhance their skills and expereince within their chosen disciplines and career tracks.
- Work closely with the Head of Department to evaluate company strategic goals and develop a roadmap of initiatives aim at ensuring our tooling, skillset, platforms and training are appropriate to support the wider aims of the business.
- Track, research and evaluate technology trends to ensure that our tools and processes follow industry best practice and provide Equator with a competitive advantage within the marketplace.
- You have an excellent knowledge of a wide range of development methods, standards and trends.
- You are an excellent communicator, both written and verbal.
- You are comfortable presenting your ideas to clients.
- You are adept at translating product and business requirements into technical solutions
- You are forward-thinking and proactive.
- You have a wealth of experience in building modern, engaging user interfaces that meet industry best standard, meet compliance requirements and perform well across multiple platforms and devices.
- Working knowledge of Agile delivery methodologies.
- You have an exceptional ability to explain and demonstrate technical choices to both technical and functional stakeholders
- You are comfortable producing written estimates and proposals for technical solutions