Overview of Role
Leading from the front, it will set the standard for ‘what good looks like’ by assuming a hands-on approach to delivering functions, features and code. Direct day-to-day involvement with the team will be central to the role. It will need to monitor, manage, develop and up-skill those in the team by sharing experience, knowledge and approach to problem solving as a seasoned engineer and mentor.
There will be an opportunity to extend the range and influence of insight by taking an active role in our departmental working groups. The role will assume ownership of key initiatives aimed at evolving our processes and tooling, ideally through assessment and utilisation within assigned projects. The ability to successfully oversee the delivery of key projects while also building the capabilities of those around you is central to the growth of the department and business.
- This role will be assigned to a large-scale project with responsibility for the delivery of the solution code base.
- Work closely with the assigned individuals from supporting disciplines (technical architect, solution analyst, business analyst, project manager, lead tester) to devise and execute a delivery plan to agreed estimates and timelines.
- Assessment and translation of solution architecture, as defined by the technical architect, into a robust and performant code base. Devise and oversee an approach that plays to the strengths of the engineers assigned to this team and allows you to successfully delegate delivery tasks that align with delivery milestones.
- Work closely with the project manager to ensure progress can be managed and that risks are appropriately identified, assessed, and mitigated.
- Ensure that our departmental engineering processes are followed and that project gateways are met and passed.
- This is very much a hands-on role. There will be a requirement to work alongside the other engineers in the team while in sprint to deliver functioning features and code.
- Alongside the technical architect assigned to the project, this role will be the ‘face’ of the engineering function and will be expected to communicate and demonstrate progress to our clients.
- There will be a requirement to advise on delivery considerations during the discovery and definition stages of the project and will work alongside the supporting disciplines previously mentioned.
- There will be an expectation to transition to new projects within the business upon the successful delivery of a project. There will be responsibility for devising and executing a handover plan to the incoming maintenance team.
- When assigned to a project, you will assume ‘devolved’ line manage responsibilities for those engineers on the project.
- Work with assigned line managers to understand each team member’s strengths, weaknesses, and assigned personal objectives.
- Some responsibility for progressing team members personal development plans while assigned to relevant project.
- Conduct 1-1 meetings with the engineers on assigned project, and follow escalation process as required.
- Provide constructive feedback to your team through your day to day engagements.
- Promote an open culture within the team and wider department that encourages and rewards creativity and innovation at all levels and experience.
- There is a focus on quality and an expectation to monitor and manage outputs and interactions with the assigned team. The role will have authority and backing of the wider business to reward and reprimand as you see appropriate.
- the role will need ensure that tasks delivered by the engineers on assigned projects are fully considered, accurately scoped and that progress is reported.
- All aspects of performance management where required
- You will be responsible for solution implementation decisions within your project in alignment with the requirements and outlined solution architecture.
- You will be a technical leader on your project. Responsible for conducting 1-1s with the engineers in your team as well as directly mentoring and delivering alongside them, you will be responsible for identifying and delivering training and coaching as required.
- As a technical leader, you will be expected to identify and undertake a program of continual learning to ensure that you are able to lead from the front. You should take a proactive approach and work with your line manager to identify – in advance – appropriate mechanisms to ensure that this is effective and delivers value to the projects and clients you are assigned to.
- Through practical, hands-on project delivery you will be in a unique position to advise the wider department on the challenges and advantages of process and tools within our deliveries. This shared learning is critical to the overall success of the department and so you will be expected to share your learnings and findings at departmental and peer meetings.
- You will be expected to take an active role in the departmental working groups tasked with evolving and expanding our capabilities as a department and business. You will attend and contribute to these sessions and assume ownership of assigned initiatives.
- You will be responsible for overseeing your assigned initiatives, ensuring that their effectiveness/impact can be appropriately measured and on conclusion reporting your findings and recommendations back to the working group.
- You will be expected to coordinate with the wider department to implement successful initiatives into your projects and ensure that this is executed in a consistent and cohesive manner.
- You have an excellent knowledge of a wide range of development methods, standards and trends.
- You are an excellent communicator, both written and verbal.
- You are comfortable presenting your ideas to clients.
- You are adept at translating product and business requirements into technical solutions
- You are forward-thinking and proactive.
- You have a wealth of experience with public cloud technologies, cloud hosting, container, and networking design patterns, tools and standard methodology (primarily using Microsoft Azure).
- Working knowledge of Agile delivery methodologies.
- You have an exceptional ability to explain and demonstrate technical choices to both technical and functional stakeholders
- You are comfortable producing written estimates and proposals for technical solutions